Linux font rendering (like it's 1999)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 08:57:33 MST 2020

On 1/11/20 8:28 PM, Barry Roberts wrote:
> Hmm.  I'm not even sure how to check that.  Everything was working
> fine on my Dell XPS 15 laptop.  And the photo is X (awesomewm).  But
> it does the same under X/GNOME or Wayland/GNOME.

The only way I know to check that is to zoom way in with a camera so you
can see the pixel elements.

If you change the subpixel order in the preference dialog does the image
change at all?

There are a number of web pages that can help you determine the order of
your monitor such as this one:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

> And none of the settings in gnome-tweaks make any visible difference at all.

Even changing to normal anti-aliasing still looks ugly?

>From a cursory search, if your two monitors have a different subpixel
order, there's no way for X11 to change rendering between monitors,
since the desktop (and thus the windows themselves) span the two
screens.  I think even Windows can't do it either.