Potential disruption to mailing list: Telegram

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Feb 24 15:20:59 MST 2020

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 14:23:04 -0700
Michael Holley <mailinglists at michaelholley.us> wrote:

> 2. Move all communication that was done via the Mailinglist over to
> the Telegram group. t.me/joinchat/DKUwX0sHch1DXKNL4fmCnA

I had no idea that existed until now. Possibly I missed the
announcement. Right now it has 25 members, not exactly a ringing
endorsement. I hit "JOIN GROUP" and got a URL that Mozilla rightly did
not recognize.

I am skeptical of anything web based. They are usually a pain in the
butt to use. I have dropped out of several open source projects because
they dropped email and went to slack or the like.

Nor do I want another damned app on my phone to spew personal
information all over the net. Telephones are pretty close to useless
for any serious text work; that is why the gods invented computers.

Email has the virtues that it shows up on my computer, not someone
else's computer, and I have my computer trained to notify me when
it comes in.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com