[somewhat OT] 5400 rpm drives

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 08:22:30 MDT 2019

On 9/20/19 8:12 AM, Grant Shipley wrote:
> Depends on what you are using your NAS for.  I mainly use mine for media
> and document storage so I use the green drives.

Yeah.  The machine functions as a NAS, but also hosts virtual machines.
It's a very lightly used machine so I doubt there will be many
performance issues with slower drives.  For the last 6 or 7 years it's
been running Green drives and doing alright, although I'm pretty sure
those were 7200 rpm.  The drive that just failed is a seagate and it's
only about 4 years old.

I ordered a couple of Red drives so we'll see how the performance is.
They will be used in a RAID 1 configuration, so read performance should
be not too bad, and write performance will probably be acceptable.