[somewhat OT] 5400 rpm drives

James Alton jamesalton.ut at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 08:13:51 MDT 2019

Faster spinning drives = lower seek times. I'd also look at bulk throughput.
If you wanted low seek times (maybe for a database or accessing tiny
files?), you'd probably want SSD.
Slower spinning drives will *probably* mean less frequent drive failure.
(Heat tends to speed up failure, and more spinning = more heat.)

For picking specific drives though, I'd personally just go with what
Backblaze has tested:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/

James Alton
<https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&fingerprint=on&search=0x1118D3B092019ECC>