Mouse Jumping Problem

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Jul 9 13:12:31 MDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM Brian J. Rogers <captbrogers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a shot in the dark, but is it because the trackpad is picking up input?

Ding, ding, ding.  I think we have a winner, but for weirder reasons
than you might think.

This laptop is my desktop.  I haven't unfolded it for weeks.  So, it
never occurred to me that it could be the touchpad.  Turns out, this
laptop doesn't like running 24/7 and being plugged in all the time.
The battery has expanded and pushed the touchpad nearly out of the
frame.  Either that's causing it to randomly contact the monitor side
and moving my pointer, or it's just fubar.  I suspect the latter, and
I probably need a new battery and a new touchpad.

This is by far the longest I've gone for days without the pointer
randomly jumping, so I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

So, if your desktop-laptop mouse pointer grows a mind of it's own,
it's possible that's an indication that your battery needs replacing.
TIL.

Thanks all,
Barry