Advice on massive file copies...

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Dec 31 12:01:56 MST 2019

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 10:22:39 -0500
John Von Essen <john at essenz.com> wrote:

> Is this the best way to do this? Maybe just doing cp would be
> easier/cleaner, is there something better then rsync to use? I just
> dont want ot have to copy 800GB everytime I sync. Maybe I use rsync
> in combination with find to walk to file tree and rsync each file one
> by one?

Rebecca Cran has already mentioned syncthing, which I second. It occurs
to me you might set up syncthing on the Mac, the NAS box and the Linux
box, and leave the worrying to it. I have a laptop, a desktop and a
server, all Debian Buster, all running syncthing between them, and it
works quite well.

I do have a Mac, mostly for backing up my iPhone. I back the Mac up to
a netatalk installation on the server using Apple's Time Machine. It
was easy to set up. And consider using Time Machine to back up to a USB
drive as well; it will do multiple backup locations.

Some general thoughts on backups:
https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?