Advice on massive file copies...

Andy Bradford amb-sendok-1580407339.jpdcgiihpdddahnkkpac at bradfords.org
Tue Dec 31 11:02:18 MST 2019

Thus said John Von Essen on Tue, 31 Dec 2019 11:38:07 -0500:

> Back to the checksum thing though, in my scenario, the filenames alone
> are the source  of truth, the QNAP never gets  deleted, only added to.
> Is there a way  to tell rsync to NOT check the  checksums just look at
> the filename,  then copy  brand new  files if they  dont exist  in the
> destination?

rsync  already does  this by  default so  there's no  need to  enable it
explicitly. If the timestamp and filesize on a file are the same then it
doesn't compute the checksum. See the following from the man page:

     -I, --ignore-times
          Normally rsync will skip any files that are already the same size
          and have the same modification timestamp.  This option turns off
          this "quick check" behavior, causing all files to be updated.

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005e0b8d4f