Home Wi-Fi recommendations

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:10:02 MDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Chris Wood <chris at tincreek.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Brian J. Rogers <captbrogers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > How does everyone that recommend Ubiquity feel about having it connected
> > a remote system for configuration? Perhaps I misunderstood the website,
> but
> > it looks like in order to configure anything you must login to their
> > website.
>
> I use the local Unifi software and really only turn it on when I want
> to upgrade the firmware.

+1 for Ubiquiti.

I've been a Netgear fan, and have beta-tested for them for about a decade
now. In fact, if you wanted to try before you buy, I have a Nighthawk X6
and a set of Orbis (a router, two nice extensions, and two lower-profile
extensions) you're welcome to borrow for a few weeks to see if it would
work for you.

That being said, back to the Ubiquiti recommendation: I switched to a
couple of UniFi AC Pro APs (overkill for my space tbh) a year and a half
ago, then half a year later picked-up a USG (UniFi Security Gateway) as a
router. Up to that point I was using a Raspberry Pi for the controller, but
then I decided just for simplicity to buy one of their controllers and it
has been convenient. Like others have said, I don't really spend a lot of
time in the configuration page. When I do though, the level of detail is
nice, both for control but as well as information (what device is connected
to which AP, being able to selectively disconnect a device so it will
connect to a better one, though it's pretty good about hand-off). I'm also
a fan of the modularity - if I need (want) to upgrade I'm not upgrading a
$300 router, instead I'm just replacing the $100 gateway, or one or both of
the $100 APs.

-Eric F. Olsen