One user database for multiple systems - how?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon May 4 08:32:42 MDT 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:50 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking I might just go for NIS+ or something, but I have absolutely
> NO idea how to set anything like that up.

NIS+ has been deprecated for reasons of security.  LDAP (and
optionally Kerberos) are the new standard.
There are a million ways to implement them, but the easiest and
feature complete I have found is using FreeIPA
(http://www.freeipa.org).

There is a more simplistic alternative.  Automate a process to copy
files (passwd,shadow,hosts,etc) to all machines involved.  This can be
done via basic scripting, or a config management tool (puppet, chef,
ansible, cfengine, etc).