Mdadm question

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:01:56 MDT 2015

On 05/01/2015 04:37 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> I should have mentioned I'm using Gentoo, sorry. I'll look for a dracut
> command, but I don't recall seeing it. Assuming I don't have such a
> command, anyone know what kind of parameters I'd pass to mkinitrd? Or to
> any other similar program to build an init-rd that has mdadm and the
> mdadm.conf in it and calls mdadm to assemble the raid?

Maybe this is of help, from the web page
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/Guide:

Using genkernel

Gentoo's kernel building utility, genkernel, can be used to generate an
initramfs, even if genkernel was not used to configure and build the kernel.

To use genkernel for generating an initramfs, it is recommended all
necessary drivers and code that is needed to mount the / and /usr file
systems be included in the kernel (not as modules). Then, call genkernel
as follows:
root #genkernel --install --no-ramdisk-modules initramfs

Depending on the system, one or more of the following options may be needed:
Option 	Description
--disklabel 	Add support for LABEL= settings in /etc/fstab
--dmraid 	Add support for fake hardware RAID.
--firmware 	Add in firmware code found on the system.
--gpg 	Add in GnuPG support.
--iscsi 	Add support for iSCSI.
--luks 	Add support for luks encryption containers.
--lvm 	Add support for LVM.
--mdadm 	Add support for software RAID.
--multipath 	Add support for multiple I/O access towards a SAN.
--zfs 	Add support for ZFS.

When finished, the resulting initramfs file will be stored in /boot .